Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Research: Survey of Medieval names, according to the Domesday Book

Judith
Mabel *snort*
Constance
Matilda
Emma
Lucy
Agatha
Edith
Albreda
Medieval name I'd swear is a LotR Mary Sue: Aelfeva

Winner for "most interesting male name so far": Iudhael of Totnes. *tries to picture screaming it in the throes of ecstasy* *fails*
Winner for "you can't make this shit up": FitzAzor, Henry - Holdings in Beds.
Winner for most interesting female name: Edeva the fair - Possibly King Harold's mistress or sometimes identified with his first wife, Edith Swanneck. (Swan neck? *consults A Concise Dictionary of Middle English* Nope, swan neck doesn't mean anything else...so it's probably synonymous with "graceful neck." Interesting, the things you can find out just looking for a minor character name.

source: The Domesday Book Online

5 comments:

Savannah Jordan said...

I've always liked Crysthane, or Auliene

Heather K said...

Hee! I like Auliene, but I have a penchant for A names. My son almost got named Amanda, had he been a girl. I've been going through the names for a character, obviously, but I'm trying to picture someone pining for Agatha, or Mable...LOL!

Savannah Jordan said...

The only pining realted to an Agatha would be her pining for a new name! Ewwww

Heather K said...

Agatha, oh Agatha, my dear sweet lovely Agatha!

*ducks*

Savannah Jordan said...

*swings out, claws extended* Dayum, Girl! don't make me go Sariah on your ass! LMAO