Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Teaser for Appointed by the Gods, Book One in the Tales of Ourania

Sarah Rivers is a lowly lady's maid, when a call goes out through the land, to find the Sybilla. When Sarah is chosen, she is thrust into a world of magic, nobility and intrigue. Is she just a stepping stone to the throne?

Acelus Strifen is Ourania's finest warrior, sent to find the new Sybilla. When he lays eyes on Sarah, he knows he can choose no other, not for himself, not for Ourania. But civil war is threatening to tear the kingdom apart, and he may lose all he holds dear. Will he choose duty or love?

***

A fanfare sounded in the outer court. “Sarah! He’s here!”

I hurried to her side, and we went to the Great Hall to receive his entourage.

Acelus Strifen entered the hall, flanked by his men, all clad in matching armor. I’d seen him in the scrying mirror, where we traded news, gossip, spells and anything else of interest, but seeing him in person was awe-inspiring. He had sandy hair that was cropped short, but still had the hint of a wave to it. His eyes were an impossible shade of deep blue. He moved smoothly for one so tall, and he radiated confidence. He caught me staring, and he winked at me!

I ducked into a quick curtsy, as my cheeks flamed red. I was barely worthy of my position as the lady’s maid, what right did I have to such a brazen stare?

“Lord Strifen,” Lady Ellynore extended her hands, and he kissed them. “May I offer our hospitality to you and your men?”

He held up a hand. “I am here but for one reason, my Lady,” he drew out a simple wand, made of willow.

It was the Sibylla’s wand. Only a truly powerful magic user could use it; anyone of a lesser talent would be overwhelmed. I took a step closer, to get a better look. A crystal gleamed at its tip. A frisson of delight ran through me at the sight of it. What must it be like to handle such an instrument? A murmur went through the hall.

“I search for the Sibylla.”

My Lady smiled. She and I had practiced many times for this day; in fact, the only reason I became her maid was because of my family’s particular affinity for magic. My father was a blacksmith, and my mother, an apothecary. I shared her skill for plants and potions. When my mother took ill, Lady Ellynore took me on as her handmaiden. We agreed I would make potions and teach her how to augment her own magical abilities, and in exchange, I would have unlimited access to her gardens, so that I might better treat my mother’s illness.

Ellynore took the wand from Acelus’s hand, and held it over the table. Slowly she released it, and it hovered in midair a brief moment, before clattering to the ground.

Acelus looked decidedly unimpressed. He glanced back at me, and his brow furrowed. “I’d like to try another lady here,” he said.

Ellynore gave him an odd look. “I am the Lady of this house, sir, my mother passed on some years ago.”

He picked up the wand, and looked directly at me. “This lady.”

“My Lord, she is only a maid,” Lady Ellynore scowled. I was sure this wasn’t one of the many scenarios she’d considered since she brought me to the manor.

Acelus’s gaze on me was steady. “I want her to try the wand.” He handed it to me. “What’s your name?”

“Sarah,” I said.

2 comments:

Bernita said...

Ooooh!
Nice anticipation.

Heather K said...

Thanks, Bernita! AbtG is slated for release in late '06, subject to change, of course.